St Mungo's Broadway Apprenticeship Scheme
In 2008 St Mungo's Broadway developed a client trainee scheme to give people who had lived experience of homelessness the skills and experience they need to find a job within the homelessness sector or further afield. Since then, the scheme has gone from strength to strength and is now called the Apprenticeship Scheme (in recognition of the qualification that is attached to it).
This is the only scheme in the homelessness sector that is only open to those with lived experience of homelessness.
Check this page for updates on forthcoming recruitment for London and Bristol.
Our briefing is designed for voluntary, health and social care organisations that are considering developing a similar scheme for service user. It explores key impacts, case studies, recruitment and how we developed the scheme.
Aims of the Scheme:
- To provide employment opportunities for those with lived experience of homelessness
- To provide a supported and structured route to gain the necessary skills and knowledge to become effective Project Workers
- The Scheme has provided employment for 85 people with lived experience of homelessness
- 98% of Apprentices completed the programme
- 64% of those who completed the programme were still in employment with St Mungo's Broadway in 2013
- There were 20 new starters in 2013 (including 11 new posts)
- Winner in Care and Support West Care Awards 2014 (The Team category)
- Silver Winner in The Learning Awards 2013 (Apprenticeship Programme of the Year category), hosted by Learning & Performance Institute
- Silver Winner in Apprenticeships 4 England Apprenticeship Employer Awards (751-2000 staff category)
- Finalist at Skills for Care Accolades 2013/14 (Best Employer Support for Apprenticeships category)
- Finalist at Training Journal Awards (Best Non for Profit programme category)
- Finalist at Care Support West Awards 2014 (The Team category)
- Finalist at Skills for Care Accolades 2013-14 (Best Recruitment Initiatives category)
We are currently recruiting for Apprentice posts in Bristol. Please check our Current Vacancies for further details and to access the online application form.
Watch our Apprenticeship film.
Listen to Chantelle and Anthony talk about their apprenticeships in films made by Skills for Care:
To find out more about Apprenticeships at St Mungo's Broadway contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Find out more.
Who can applyFind out more about who is eligible for our Apprenticeship SchemeFind out more
What can I gain?Information about how the scheme can help you find workFind out more
Want to join?Frequently Asked Questions about how the apprenticeship scheme can help you find workFind out more
Information for staffFrequently Asked Questions about how the apprenticeship scheme can help clients into workFind out more